Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ezekiel

This morning, during my B90D reading time, I was reading through a section in Ezekiel. I was moving right along, reading all about the powerful words the Lord wanted him to tell the people in Jerusalem...and then, this crazy verse hit me. Ezekiel 16:44. I immediately cringed.

Did you know that the phrase "Like mother, like daughter" is in the Bible??? I didn't. To make matters worse, it's not used in a very good way either. Fantastic.

If I didn't just title my last blog post "Like Mother, Like Daughter", then I wouldn't have any problem with this verse. But, I did. Oops.

So, what does the verse say exactly? Here ya go...
" 'Everyone who quotes proverbs will quote this proverb about you: "Like mother, like daughter."

Ok, that's not the bad part...here's the following 2 verses that talk about the daughter...yikes...

You are a true daughter of your mother, who despised her husband and her children; and you are a true sister of your sisters, who despised their husbands and their children. Your mother was a Hittite and your father an Amorite. Your older sister was Samaria, who lived to the north of you with her daughters; and your younger sister, who lived to the south of you with her daughters, was Sodom.

Background: Samaria and Sodom were not nice places to live. Their people did detestable things and life was just bad in those cities.

Hopefully, no one who quotes proverbs will ever quote that proverb (in this way) about Avery and me!:)

My B90D reading plan is still going well. I'm 4 days behind, but that's a lot better than in the fall...I was wa-a-ay behind, for a lo-o-og time. I'm scheduled to finish the Bible during the 2nd week of April - yay!!!

1 comment:

  1. Sara, I am SO PROUD of you for sticking with the bible reading....you go girl!!!! You are a true inspiration. I have not picked up my chronological bible since i started another bible study a couple of months ago. and honestly, i'm not doing well keeping up with it either.(sigh) thanks for sharing what God is showing you...always like that.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.