Thursday, March 5, 2009

Our baby girl is here!






We are so pleased to announce that Avery Alice Bonner have arrived! It was such an incredible day and this is how it went... I was admitted to Baptist Hospital at 8:30 pm on Monday, Feb. 23rd. Wade and I were taken to our delivery room (which was very nice!) and I was hooked up to a bunch of machines - a fetal monitor, a heart monitor for me, and an IV for fluids. The doctor came in and gave me some medicine to prep my body for labor in the morning. I wasn't allowed to have anything to eat after midnight, but Wade to the liberty of ordering himself a nice, hot Papa John's pizza at 11 am and ate it nearly all of it in front of me. He offered some to me, but I didn't want to mess anything up in the morning (literally!). 
The doctor offered me an Ambien to help me sleep and I was out until 6 am the next morning. Let the fun begin!! The pitocin was started at 6 am and I felt pretty good for a few hours.My mom came to see us around 8 am.  At 9 am, the contractions were starting to get to me, so I asked for Nubain (sp?) to help. The nurse quickly gave some to me in my IV and I immediately felt like I had one too many margharitas - it worked really well! As I was laying there, I heard a LOT of moaning and yelling in the hallway. Being on the 4th floor, I knew what that meant - some lady did not get her pain meds and is now paying the price! Later that morning, I asked my nurses what was going on and they said a lady was indeed in active labor and came to the hospital with only 10 minutes to spare before she gave birth! Note to self: never, ever, EVER do that. It sounded awful. 
Well, my initial pain med wore off around 10 am, so I wisely asked for my epidural. The doctor was great and at 10:30 am, I was pain-free and feeling great. 
The rest of the day consisted mostly of eating ice chips, talking to Wade and my mom, watching tv, visiting with Wade's parents, and having my progress checked by the doctor and nurses. Nothing too exciting. 
Ok, at 1:30 pm, the doctor checked me and I was 5 cm dilated - woo hoo!! Dr. Ridenhour said that I would deliver by 6 pm at the latest.  
Well, at 3:15 pm, she checked me again and she said I was "ready". Huh?! Ready? For what? Pushing! I was 10 cm already and I couldn't believe it!! Wade quickly called his parents and told them to get back to the hospital (they were at Best Buy). My mom hung around in the room all day with us and was equally as shocked and excited as I was!
Dr. Ridenhour ordered for the room to be set up for the delivery. I couldn't believe it was really happening!!! She stayed with me the whole time too. I had 2 nurses and the doctor and everyone was awesome. I easily figured out how to push and started around 3:30 pm. 
At 3:58 pm, little Miss Avery was born!!!! It was such a miraculous thing. The delivery was so much easier than I thought it would be. When she was delivered, they did a quick clean-up and then placed her on my chest. I was awe struck, to say the least, that this beautiful, perfectly formed little girl was inside of me for 41 weeks!! She was then given to the nurses and Wade was instructed on how to cut the cord. He did a great job! He then was able to follow her to the newborn nursery and take pictures of her getting warmed up and everything. 
I really wish I could have seen her in the nursery, but thanks to Wade and Joe Bob, I have plenty of pictures! It was the best day - and best anniversary - we could have asked for!!







1 comment:

  1. Sara, she is beautiful! I loved reading the story of her birth-thank you for posting it. I can't wait to see more of her and hear more about how she, and you (mom!) are doing!!! I hope you are loving every precious moment, even the sleepless ones ;).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.